The Town Hall

This baroque civil building was designed by architect Lorenzo Chápuli and erected on the site of the former town hall in the 18th century. The main ornamental features that visitors always admire are the barley-sugar columns on the facade and the two towers. Inside there are several interesting rooms such as the Salón Azul, styled from the period of Spain’s Queen Isabel, the Salón de Plenos and a chapel in which mass is held. More info

The Central Market

This building with its modernist-inspired elements was built under the supervision of J. Vidal Ramos between 1911 and 1912, over the 18th century walls that surrounded Alicante. It has a rectangular floor plan in the style of a basilica, with a circular appendage in the south-west corner topped by a semispherical cupola “La Rotonda”. One of its two storeys is a half-basement due to the incline of the surrounding streets.

The Principal Theatre

Opened in 1847, this is a theatre par excellence. Its main facade is in the neo-classical style, while its interior, designed in accordance with the Italian typology of the period, is divided into three clearly differentiated areas: the vestibule, the horseshoe-shaped auditorium and the stage.

Bull Ring – Plaza de Toros

This is one of the oldest working bull rings in the Region of Valencia. Built in 1847 by Alicante architect Emilio Jover, it had to be completely renovated in 1884 due to serious deterioration. Its second architect, José Guardiola, took on this important project and added a second floor with stairs and independent adjacent accesses.


Alicante Provincial Council

This building is located in a neo-classical palace designed by Juan Vidal Ramos and built in 1928.

Maissonave Palace

Located in the street called Calle Labradores, this building dates back to the 16th century. Inside, visitors will find the City Archives and a display of the ruins of a late-Roman necropolis.

The Carbonell Building

Casa Carbonell stands at Number 1 on La Explanada de España, this is one of the most striking buildings in Alicante. Built by J. Vidal Ramos between 1922 and 1925, Casa Carbonell is said to have been constructed upon the orders of a textiles manufacturer from the nearby town of Alcoy, Enrique Carbonell. The building bears testimony to the wealth of the Alcoy textiles manufacturers during World War One.

Arniches Theatre

This is the second most important theatre in Alicante and the fact that it is quite small adds to its appeal as a cosy and intimate place to enjoy some of the best artistic performances around. More info

The Provincial Council of Alicante Auditorium  ADDA

The Provincial Council of Alicante Auditorium, ADDA, covers an area of 28,000 m2 and has a capacity for over 5,000 people. Conceived with the idea of becoming the flagship of MICE tourism in Alicante, it is a pioneering building created with modern architecture and a great range of diverse rooms. More info

Post office Building

The Postal Service has restored the building that had been its headquarters in the Plaza de Gabriel Miró for 80 years. Twelve years after its closure, it has reopened as one of the city’s best-loved buildings, following a refurbishment process that has successfully restored it to its former glory. More info

Casa de Brujas- Witch House

Modernist in style, this building was built in 1931 by architect Enrique Sánchez Sedeño, a pioneer in iron constructions in Spain.  More info.

Santa Bárbara Castle 

Perched on top of Mount Benacantil, at a height of 116 metres, stands one of Spain’s largest mediaeval fortresses, providing great views of Alicante’s perfect bay.

View Civil Buildings on a larger map?

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This