The Bonfires of Saint John of Alicante conquer Sweden
From the 8th to the 10th of April the Bonfires of Saint John,“Les Fogueres de Sant Joan” will be celebrated in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Les Fogueres de Sant Joan are the official fiestas of Alicante and they take place between the 20th and 24th of June. They have become a huge tourist attraction for the city. They have been declared a Fiesta of International Tourist Interest due to their spectacularity and beauty, and their impact, both nationally and internationally grows year after year.
For the first time in history the Bonfires will take place abroad, and for this occasion the city of Gothenburg, one of the biggest cities of Sweden, has been chosen.
It is well known that Alicante has been the start port of the last three editions of the Volvo Ocean Race round the world sailing competition, and it will be again in 2017. The city also hosts the Volvo Ocean Race Museum, a modern and unique space.
There is no doubt that this is a huge promotional event for Gothenburg and a unique opportunity for thousands of Swedoish citizens to discover our most international fiesta, and they will surely fall in love with Alicante!
Why Sweden and why Gothenburg?
Gothenburg is one of the most important and biggest cities in Sweden, the second most important country sending tourists to the city of Alicante. On top of that Alicante is closely linked to this Sscandinavian country and specially to Gothenburg, where the main Headquarters of Volvo are located.
Programme of activities:
SATURDAY 9th of APRIL
- 10 am Official opening of the tourist office in Gustav Adolf Torg Square.
- 11 am First Street Parade of all participants with music band and traditional costumes. Itinerary: along Östra Hamngatan Street and finishing in Gustav Adolfs Torg Square.
- 12 am Alicante rice cooking. Giant paella cooked for 1000 people in a traditional style for people to enjoy watching. Location: Gustav Adolfs Torg Square.
- 1 pm Free tasting of traditional Alicante rice.
During the preparation of rice and in the afternoon participants to this event will also be playing music and parading inside Nordstan shopping centre, located a few metres away from the square where the activities will be carried out.
- 5.30 pm Second Street Parade of all participants with music band and traditional costumes. Same itinerary.
- 7 pm Closing of the activities programme.
Throughout the day there will also be a tourist office in the square.
Join our draw to win stays in some of the leading hotels in Alicante!