The Castle of Santa Bárbara
Perched on top of Mount Benacantil, at a height of 166 metres, stands one of Spain’s largest mediaeval fortresses, providing great views of Alicante’s perfect bay. It has three different enclosures from three distinct periods:
The upper enclosure, “La Torreta”, is where visitors will find the keep and the most ancient remains of the fortress, which mostly date from the 14th century.
- The mid-level enclosure is home to the most important buildings, which were built in the 16th century. These include:
- the Salón Felipe II hall
- the Cuerpo de Guardia guardhouse the Patio de Armas parade ground the Baluarte de la Reina bastion.
- The lower enclosure dates back to the 18th century and is home to the Revellín del Bon Repós ravelin.
Walking access through the Ereta footbridge, closed until further notice.
Visitors can access the castle via a lift built within the rockface opposite El Postiguet beach. You can also reach the castle on foot or by car along the road on the north face of Mount Benacantil, which starts in Calle Vázquez de Mella street.
On the sea-Facing slope of Mount Benacantil is the Ereta park, an attractive open-air space with a restaurant, cafeteria and exhibition hall.
The park offers superb views of the city and its Old Quarter, which can be reached easily via the various entrances to the park. Curiously, when viewed from El Postiguet beach, Mount Benacantil looks like a human face in profile which is known as “La Cara del Moro” or “The Moor’s Face” and is one of the city’s most emblematic images.
Santa Bárbara Castle
- Winter (1 October to 31 March): 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Everyday.
- April, May, June and September: from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Everyday.
- July and August: from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. When there are cultural events at night, the lift open until 23.45 h
- Access to the Castle: free
- General from 10:00 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.
- Last elevator uploaded: 19:20 h.
- Last elevator down: 19:40 h.
- Located in front of the Postiguet beach, on Avenida Juan Bautista Lafora.
Price of lifts
- General, 2.70 euros.
- Free for retired pensioners who prove this condition through a document.
Two daily visits: approximately 90 minutes. Access to the Museum of the City of Alicante (MUSA)
Languages: Spanish / Valencian / English: Depending on the languages spoken by visitors, guided tours can be done in different languages simultaneously.
Meeting point Aljibe Renacentista for the guided tours: 10.30 and 12.30
Opening of the “Aljibe Renacentista” for free visits from 10 to 10.30 and from 12 to 12.30 hrs.
Until further notice the Tourist Information Point is closed.
- Adults 18-65 years: 3 euros
- Children under 6 years: Free
- Junior 6 to 17 years: 2 euros
- Senior + 65 Anny: 2 euros
- Other bonus situations: Groups of more than 20 pax, unemployed with accreditation, large family, pensioner with accreditation: 2 euros
- Groups of 4 to 8 people: 15 eur per person
- Groups of 9 to 15 people: 10 € per person
- Groups of 16 to 25 people: 6 eur per person
- Groups of 26 to 35 people: 4 eur per person
- Groups of more than 35 people: 3 eur per person
INFORMATION AND BOOKING SERVICE:
- In the the Castle (Guard Body Room- Plaza de Armas). From 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 15:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Phone 693 771 105
- What’s the app 693771105
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org