Castle of Santa Bárbara
The Castle of Santa Bárbara is perched on top of Mount Benacantil at a height of 166 metres, and stands one of Spain’s largest mediaeval fortresses, providing great views of Alicante’s perfect bay. It has three different enclosures from three distinct periods:
The upper enclosure, “La Torreta”, is where visitors will find the keep and the most ancient remains of the fortress, which mostly date from the 14th century.
The mid-level enclosure is home to the most important buildings, which were built in the 16th century. These include:
• The Salón Felipe II hall
• The Cuerpo de Guardia guard house the Patio de Armas parade ground the Baluarte de la Reina bastion.
The lower enclosure dates back to the 18th century and is home to the Revellín del Bon Repós ravelin.
SICTED Quality Certificate
In order to ensure all safety measures due to Covid-19, it is recommended to organise your visit in advance, Santa Barbara Castle remains open with restrictions due to the Covid-19:
Two visitable areas have been established:
- Free access areas: it includes the spaces known as Ravelin of the Bon Repós and the Baluarte de Santa Ana.
- Access to the Monumental Complex with free on-line reservation
There are 4 access intervals, each one of them with a maximum duration of 1 hour and 50 minutes.
The exteriors of the Castle can be visited, the exhibition rooms remain closed.
A one-way itinerary has been established, with certain areas limited to visitors.
ACCESS TO THE CASTLE
- Elevator services: closed for safety reasons (Covid).
- Open accesses: by car and on foot along Calle Vázquez de Mella or using the different itineraries starting in the Old Town.
- Santa Bárbara Castle car park: closed.
Pedestrian access is recommended:
- Access to Santa Bárbara Castle from La Ereta Park: This route begins with a walk through the streets of the Historical Centre and ends at La Ereta Park. It also offers spectacular views of the city, the neighbouring towns and the Mediterranean Sea. https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-
a-pie/castillo-de-santa- barbara-por-parque-la-ereta- 43497330
- Access to the Santa Bárbara Castle along Monte Benacantil: You can enjoy the views of Postiguet Beach from Calle Virgen del Socorro and then join the path on the west side of Mount Benacantil that also allows to benefit from the lovely views of the north of Alicante and the mountains. https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-
Vehicle access only in the following cases:
- Loading and unloading of passengers during strictly necessary time: taxis, VTC, people with reduced mobility, minibuses (maximum length 8.50m and maximum mass 6,800kg)
- Due to COVID restrictions, opening times may change. It is advisable to confirm them before visiting, either through the tourist offices or through the Castle’s contact details.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
- If necessary, the Department of Culture may introduce additional measures to ensure the safety of visitors.
- Visitors must always follow the instructions from staff.
- Every day from 10am to 8pm. (last access at 19.15h)
- The fortress will be closed on 24th, 25th and 31st December and 1st and 6th January