Las Cigarreras, the popular tobacco factory of Alicante, was established at the beginning of the 19th century and is an outstanding example of the area´s architectural urban heritage. As a prime source of employment for thousands of workers over two centuries, it forms part of the collective memory for several generations of Alicante citizens. When tobacco production was transferred to the surrounding suburbs, the old factory was taken over by the town council. The restoration project for three of the factory warehouses, where Las Cigarreras Cultural Centre is currently housed, has transformed this place into a prominent Spanish cultural venue.
These restored warehouses now serve as a space for contemporary culture as they house the Caja Negra (Black Box), a multifunctional auditorium for musical and theatrical performances; the Patrimonio Cultural warehouse, a centre for Cultural Heritage, the Casa de la Música (House of Music), or other places for lesisure as the Cigarra Bar.
- Tuesday to Saturday from 10.00 a.m. to 9.30 p.m.
- Sundays, Mondays and public holidays: closed
- Closed on 24, 25 and 31 December, 1 and 6 January
Special opening hours, August 2022
- Tuesday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.
- Closed: Sunday, Monday and public holidays.