More practical information
In Alicante there are two official languages:
- Spanish: the official language of the Spanish state.
- Valencian: the local language of the Region of Valencia.
Meal times tend to be a bit later than in the rest of Europe.
- Breakfast: Between 7.30am and 10am.
- Lunch: Between 2pm and 3pm.
- Dinner: Between 9pm and 10.30pm.
Central Post Office:
Dirección: PL. GABRIEL MIRO 7
Código Postal: 03003
Contact Phone: +34 965 131 887
Fax: +34 965 132 287
- Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 8.30pm.
- Saturday from 9.30am to 1.00pm.
Most banks are open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 2.00pm. Only a few branches are open on Saturday morning. There are 24-hour ATM cash dispensers throughout the city, most of which accept international bank cards.
Most hotels, restaurants and shops accept major credit cards such as American Express, VISA, Mastercard, 4B, Access and Diners Club
- New Year’s Day: 1st January.
- Epiphany: 6th January.
- San José: 19th March.
- Good Friday and Easter Monday: exact dates vary.
- Santa Faz: Exact date varies (second Thursday after Maundy Thursday).
- Labour Day: 1st May.
- San Juan: 24th June.
- Virgen de la Asunción: 15th August.
- Region of Valencia day: 9th October.
- Columbus Day: 12th October.
- All Saints’ Day: 1st November.
- Day of the Spanish Constitution: 6th December.
- The Immaculate Conception: 8th December.
- Christmas: 25th December.
Standard voltage is 220-240V AC, 50 Hz.
Electrical appliances from the US require a transformer and an adaptor.
Plugs are two-pin and adaptors are available at any hardware store.