Museum of the city of Alicante MUSA
TEMPORARILY CLOSED FOR SAFETY REASONS (COVID-19)
The Museum of Alicante city, the MUSA, is located in the Castle of Santa Barbara. It consists in five halls complemented by the Renaissance cistern.
MUSA Museum halls
1. Engineers Corps Building. Turned into a Visitor Information Centre. Holds an exhibition of archaeological remains and an audiovisual presentation of the city’s history on a big screen.
2. Old hospital. It houses the exhibition “”Alicante Traspasada de Mediterráneo””.
3. Long Room. Exhibits the exhibition “”Stories and people””. At the back of the room you can see the old medieval gate to the fortress.
4. Mine Rooms or Cuevas de los Ingleses. Exhibition “”The explosion of the mine”” during the War of Succession 1701 – 1713.
5. Due to the risks associated with the narrow staircase, the old dungeons under the Plaza de Armas can be visited with a guide, within the fortress guided tour programme.
Santa Bárbara Castle opening hours
- Winter (1 October to 31 March): 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Everyday.
- April, May, June and September: from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Everyday.
- July and August: from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- When there are cultural events at night, please check closing time.
Access to the Castle: free
- Last elevator going up: 7:20 p.m.
- Last elevator going down: 7:40 p.m.
- Lifts are located opposite the Postiguet beach, on Avenida Juan Bautista Lafora.
Price of the lifts
- General, 2.70 euros.
- Free of charge for pensioners who can accredit this condition by means of a document.
How to get to the Castle and the MUSA
The Santa Barbara Castle can be reached using the lift excavated in the rock, facing Postiguet beach. You can also access the castle on foot through the Parque de la Ereta, an attractive outdoor area, where a well-known restaurant is located. Finally, it is possible to reach the site on foot or by car via a conventional road on Vázquez de Mella street.
- Access by car is only authorized to load and unload passengers.
- It is not allowed to park vehicles on the premises.
- There are two parking places for people with reduced mobility as well as bicycle parking.
Access to the Castle’s lifts: Avda. Juan Bautista Lafora s/n. 03002. Closed for safety reasons (COVID-19)
Access by road: Calle Vázquez de Mella, s/n. 03013