Santa Faz Pilgrimage
Alicante celebrates its popular pilgrimage “La Peregrina”. It takes place on the second Thursday after Maundy Thursday.
On the second Thursday after Maundy Thursday the popular pilgrimage known as La Peregrina to the Santa Faz Monastery takes place. The monastery is located 5 kilometres from the centre of Alicante, and, according to tradition, it is where the fabric that Veronica used to dry the face of Christ on the way of the Cross is kept.
In a baroque style, this monastery stands just five kilometres from the city limits, in the municipal district of the same name. It guards a relic that was brought over from The Vatican in the 15th century which, according to popular tradition, was the fabric with which Veronica dried the bleeding face of Jesus on the Way of the Cross.
Tips for the Santa Faz pilgrimage
· Wear comfortable clothing and natural fibers to prevent chafing.
· It is better to use comfortable shoes that you have already used before to avoid injuries.
· Rest each time you feel the need to.
· It is recommended to wear a cap and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun and avoid sunstroke.
· Drink water and/or juice before feeling thirsty to avoid dehydration.
· Remember that drinking alcohol can accelerate possible dehydration.
Enjoy and have fun!